Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Schools, Market, Banku and Cedric

--

Good morning everybody!! It's Wednesday July 30th at 7:18 AM. We will head to Logba Tota this morning. About a 3 hour drive, but if traffic, which is "CRAZY," prevents it, it might take 5 or 6 hours.

Yesterday was a FULL day, with getting supplies, delivering them to two schools on Community 4 and then lunch at Richie's, where I experienced Banku. A mashed corn ball that is very dense. I took a few fingers full of the banku and then dipped it into a soup made from okra, some greens, tomato and a tiny crab. It all tasted sour. Both the banku by itself and the soup. Slimey and sour. But it was an eating experience that left me satisfied and I would do it again.

Anita won't touch it and has no interest in it! She had Yam and we all shared pineapple and Anita's favorite drink here, Faygo Pineapple!!! I stuck to water (pronounced Wah-Tah)

Here's some more pics



I just HAVE to get in a mix it up with the kids. They LOVE to meet you and I believe that shaking their hands, shows they you are indeed interested in getting to know them, rather than just looking at them and taking a few pics.


The kids here are very well disciplined. There are scriptures on every wall. They pray and play and learn. Sounds a lot like what the USA used to be like.



Cedric is a boy that fell into a fire some years ago. His family did not have the funds and he was going to have to leave the hospital. Davi Trotti, a GOOD woman who has traveled to Ghana with Anita and on her own many times, stepped up and met the need. I was telling Cedric, in no uncertain terms that, "GOD is Especially Fond of You!"




Teachers with much appreciated supplies



Banku



Angelic Anita with Evelyn and Richie at the market bargaining for supplies for a party we will throw for 70 kids at a school in a remote village in Logba Tota.



Anita and crew of Evelyn, Richie, Chief Takyi (Tachee) and a delivery boy, with supplies for Logba. I still don't know how they put all that in the trunk of this tiny car.






Anita walking through the outside part of the Ghana Market

--

Wish I had time to post more. I have a lot of videos I need to get a couple up to you tube so you can see AND hear this experience.

--

** We're waiting on the van for this morning's trip and I thought I'd take advantage of the down time and share some interesting things I've witnessed here.

The men here will urinate almost anywhere. As you drive along the road, you'll see numerous men, most turn their back to the road, but not all, standing there just shooting into the breeze so to speak. It becomes funny after the initial shock.

The food certainly is for a different palate than we are accustomed to in the USA. Things here are either bland, spicy or sour.

Everyone has a spirit of Akwaaba (welcome). People will just shout out, welcome to Ghana, or Akwaaba. As we walked through the market place, as busy as an ant hill with bodies scurrying in every direction, and exciting with sights, smells and sounds, we hear "Obruni" (white person) and "Obolo" (fat). I took no offense at it. There's a gracious plenty of heavy folks here too. Anita took a hit to the heart from it though.

The other morning Rev James and I just went for a walk around this ever and fast growing neighborhood. we stumbled upon a school yard that he did not know existed. we met a teacher and I inquired the cost. It is $13 per term. there are three terms per year. So $54 per child per year. These kids are from poor homes and some are homeless.

I thought how dreadful it would be if a kid could only attend one or two terms because their parents could not afford the rest of the year. I felt GOD tell me, "You can help."

Remember the change I rolled up? Well I reached in my pocket and handed them $50. It was graciously received and I'm told it will go a LONG way there helping the children.

The head master came to our home this morning and asked for me, as I had left my card with the teacher. He explained that my gift was an answer to many prayers. That some of the children and parents live in the local dump and scavenge for food and stuff to sell for money to meet other needs. He says these kids come to school filthy and use a piece of twig to scrape their teeth.

Folks, this is what I came to Ghana for. We have a busy schedule but this is something that GOD led us to and I feel it way down deep. The school is being forced to be torn down as it is old and rickety and the neighborhood is being molded into a high dollar community. They have been given some land by a chief. I want to help this school!

I want you to help me help this school! Please commit this to prayer and ask GOD to reveal your level of commitment to it. I'm crying as I write this and praying the Holy Spirit convict you to share this with others. I am going to make a video of the people in the dump and hope it rip your hearts out for them.

The name of the school is "Gates of Jerusalem Academy." Please consider saving your change for a year and allow us to use it for the benefit of these kids. Anita and I have agreed that we shall visit there again to inquire of immediate needs we can meet with what resources we have now, before we leave Ghana.


I Love every one of you so very much that my heart aches, I miss you and give thanks to GOD for you!

Yesterday, 7-29-08 was my son's 27th birthday. Happy birthday David Lee Waters Jr., !!!

---

Peace out -

David Lee Waters Sr.,

No comments: