Saturday, July 3, 2010

There... almost

Almost time to go, yet I'm already there.  I can taste the fufu with goat soup.  I can feel the fresh cold pineapple on my lips.  I can see the steam coming off of my rice watah' as I spread jam on my sweet bread in the morning.

I can see the orange dusty roads and feel their every bump on their long, winding journey to another village, a school, an orphanage up a mountain, down a hill....  I can smell the dump, with its smoke haze covered landscape where animals and humans alike, scavenge for the day's nutrition.

I can hear the children chanting in a school yard, louder and Louder, "o-bru-nee, O-bru-Nee, O-BRU-NEE," as they hop and skip about holding Mom-Anita's hands.  Smiles wide, joy in their heart they can not contain.  My heart leaps and flutters as I mist up and try to hold the camera still.

I can taste the unique dry chocolate that crumbles rather than melts.  I see Papayas, Mangoes, Tomatoes, peppers, Bananas, Avacados, Garlic, and ground grains of every sort as vendors hope I buy from them.

I can feel road side fire roasted corn warm my insides from teeth to tummy.  I can see masses of people carrying things for sale on their heads.  I can feel the energy rise from the hustle and bustle of the pathways through the market place.  I can feel the cool soothe of a Fanta Pineapple soda, over the teeth, on the back of the tongue, fizzing down my dry throat, at the end of a hot, humid, dusty day in the Tropics of West Africa.

I can hear the roar of the ocean drowning out children's giggles of fear and excitement as it's waves crash on the shore, where a skinny horse carries a rider through the stiff, salty breeze.

I can smell fish in the haze of smoke weighing heavily near the ground in a section of town near the port.

I can feel the embrace of friends and family; long lost hugs from those I've missed and thought and prayed about and longed for, for an eternal year.

I can see the stars more than ever before and watch them sparkle in sync with  the tree frogs conducting a symphony of nature that sings praises to it's creator as they celebrate with passion for love!

I can feel the drum beat as the African rhythm awakens in my soul, on a mountain top shanty with one bulb burning; bodies moving, voices raised, hands clapping.  I can let my heart sing every song it hears, worshiping the Lord in Spirit and Truth with exuberance rather than reserved tradition.

I can celebrate with dance as a village has clean drinking water for the first time.

I can revel in the beauty of Grace's smile, as GOD reveals the mystery of why we do what we do.

I am where GOD ripped my heart out and planted it...


in Ghana.


I am home.

I am there.... almost....


Always




* please follow along as we try to post here often and please consider joining us next year on this life transforming journey to GHANA.

David Lee Waters Sr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. Thanks for sharing. Jacqui