Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Full Day, Dump, Produce, Artful Shopping and Critters

---


We finally made it to the Dump. It was a blow to my stomach. I almost blew chunks. I was really moved down deep. The stench was heavy in the air. I believe the photos will speak for themselves and when I return, I will share the video....





Where they live



What they eat



A child




An anguished Mother




---

It was a full day. We paid a visit to the US Embassy in the capital city, Accra and was unable to contact the vice consular, Peter Lee. Please write to the US Embassy in Ghana requesting permission for Richie to be granted a visa to visit us in the USA and share the ministry here. Richie has applied 7 times and been denied for no good reason.
Consular Section No. 19 Fifth Link Rd. Cantonments, AccraAccra, Ghana Telephone: (233) 21-741-100Fax: (233) 21-741-362/741-426 Email: consulateaccra@state.gov
I have written to Senator Lindsey Graham.
** update, I spoke to Peter Lee and he has given me no more hope. The system is the system and it's a coin toss when you apply for a US visa of any kind.


--
While in Accra we went to a road side market. The art work caused me to think of my friend Glenn, who designed the cover of my book. Here are some photos from there.




---
On the way back we stopped at a roadside produce market to re-up on pineapples and stuff!







Sure is a long way from what those folks in the dump get. Fresh and delicious.


---


This woman's produce was not as bright and vibrant as the others available and her face reveals a similar life.

I shared some scripture,

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.(Jeremiah 29:11)


and a prayer to "bless her indeed", just as Jabez prayed, she was smiling as we left.


--
Now I can't pass up the little critters.. So Mary Lynn, I KNOW you'll be enjoying this...





---

We finished the day with a Men's and Women's ministry meeting. Anita and I spoke to our relative gender. We both discussed our relationship. People see us interact and they want what we have. Relationships and gender roles are clearly defined here.

I reminded the men of what Pastor Ralph Moore, who performed our wedding in Hawaii, reminded me of during our union. There is four times as much instruction to men about loving their wives, than there is about women submitting to their husbands.

I told them it was easy for me to serve the Lord, to surrender because I came to the point where I knew my way would just mess things up and I believed GOD had a better way and I was ready to Trust GOD fully. I used to pray please don't send me to Africa. Look at me now. If GOD calls, I'll answer.

And that in that total surrender I am led to love my wife like she's never been loved before, all the days of my life forever more. I wake up each morning and tell her that she is beautiful and i love her. That our relationship runs on prayer and a communication that appreciates and reciprocates.

The men wanted what we have in their relationships so I said I would pray that they make many mistakes and become convinced that GOD has a better way. And that when i see them next, they will tell me how their heart flutters and their eyes light up when their wife walks in the room or they come home from work.

Anita told of making a list and praying for a mate and they just howled when she told them I do all the cooking! :o)

---

We shop today and prepare for the send off party tomorrow since we leave early Thursday morning. I'm sure gonna miss this place. But we have a mission to be obedient to. I pray you've enjoyed the ride along. We sure appreciate the encouraging emails.

---

Love & Prayers,

David Lee Waters Sr.,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would not have been able to go by the critters either! I probably would have brought them home to Winssboro!!!!! :) They do look tiny or were these pups? The dump pics are a sight. It does amaze me that there are people in the world who depend on this to live and get by. We are sometimes unappreciative of ALL we have here in the US. I thank God every day for the food we have and the homes too. Thanks for sharing!